COMMON USE CLASS: B1 Business, C1 Hotels, Sui_generis_1
Grove Court Hotel presents a unique opportunity to acquire a former hotel in west Cumbria that has significant development potential.
The property comprises of::
Cleator Moor – 1 mile
Whitehaven – 5 miles
Workington – 12 miles
Sellafield – 7 miles
The site is well located south west of Whitehaven, with good access to the A595 which connects west Cumbria. Cleator and neighbouring Cleator Moor provide shops, chools and other amenities.
Access is provided via Main Street (A5086), Cleator.
From Whitehaven, take the A595 south for 4 miles towards Bigrigg. As you leave Bigrigg, take the first left onto Dalzell Street. After 0.5 miles, turn left onto the A5086 sign posted Cleator. Drive through Cleator and after 0.8 miles, Grove Court Hotel is on the left hand side.
From Cockermouth, follow the A5086 south for 13 miles. At Cleator Moor, continue travelling on the A5086 for 0.5 miles and Grove Court Hotel is the righthand side.
From Egremont, take the A5086 north for 1.7 miles. After driving through Cleator, continue for 0.3 miles and Grove Court Hotel is on the lefthand side.
Grove Court Hotel is a 14 bedroom hotel with multiple bars, dining rooms and event spaces that has been a popular location for celebrations and weddings.The site was a former school that has been extended to create a hotel which allows a diverse range of hospitality uses with large function room, breakfast room, bar and lounge with 14 ensuite bedrooms. The site includes hotel, 2 bungalows, residential building plot and carpark. The property would be ideal for an owner operated hospitality business with owner or staff accommodation The bungalow and flat could also be self-catering holiday lets subject to the relevant permissions.
1. Grove Court Hotel
The Old School House was built in 1907 and was converted into a hotel in 1987. The hotel has been run by the Benn family and the hotel had a sound reputation for overnight guests and event functions such as wedding receptions, parties and anniversaries.
The hotel is predominantly built of sandstone under slate roof. The property is part double glazed with gas central heating.
The accommodation briefly consist of:
The Kitchen is understood to have suffered a fire in 2019 sustaining damage and is currently not operational. The annex consisting of 8 ensuite bedrooms has had planning permission granted to create a 4 bedroom detached house under planning application 4/212434/0F1 (Copeland Borough Council)
Detached 3 bedroom bungalow constructed of brick and block under slate roof. The property is double glazed with gas central heating.
The accommodation briefly consists of:
Externally there is a yard and garden area to side.
3. Bungalow arranged as two flats
Detached building which could be easily converted into a 3/4 bedroom bungalow subject to the relevant permissions.
Flat 1 benefits from double glazing and gas central heating. The accommodation briefly consists of:
Externally there is a yard and garden to the side of the flat.
The flat has open plan living/dining rooms with double height ceilings and feature sandstone wall. There is a feature fireplace with wood burner. The flat benefits from double glazing and gas central heating.
Accommodation briefly consists of:
Externally there is a garden and patio areas to the side of the property.
4. Residential Building Plot
There is outline planning permission that has been granted for a detached dwellinghouse to the northeast of the site. Planning reference is 4/21/2447/0G1 and 4/18/2019/0F1 (Copeland Borough Council).
There has been multiple planning applications previously approved on the site and provides excellent opportunity to develop a wider residential scheme.
Planning permission has been granted to convert Grove Court Hotel into 13 supported living units.
The eastern extension has had planning permission granted to create a detached 4 bedroom dwellinghouse.
There has been planning permission granted for a new dwellinghouse in the northeast corner.
Planning permission to demolish the site has been previously refused and is understood to require a bat survey being undertaken on order to progress this application.
Further information can be sought from Copeland Borough Council planning department and Day Cummins.
To the extent they are included within the vendor’s title.
Energy Performance Certificates
Flat 1 C-69
Flat 2 D-66
Full certificates available upon request.
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted appliances, curtains, carpets and floor coverings in the property are included within the sale at no extra charge. No warranties are given for the fitted appliances.
Copeland Borough Council
The Market Hall, Market Place, Whitehaven, CA28 7JG
Plans, Areas and Schedules
These are based on the Ordnance Survey and Title Deeds and are for reference only. They have been carefully checked and computed by the selling agents and the purchaser shall be deemed to have satisfied themselves as to the description of the property and any error or mis-statement shall not annul the sale nor entitle either party to compensation in respect thereof.
By strict appointment with the Selling Agents.
Health & Safety
Given the potential hazards of the property we request that you take as much care as possible when making your inspection of the property for your own personal safety.
Please be mindful of the Government regulations with regard to COVID-19 and respect social distancing at all times when inspecting the land, both to protect yourselves and any other parties.
A deposit of 10% of the purchase price will be payable on conclusion of missives. This will be non-refundable in the event of the transaction failing to reach completion for reasons not attributable to the vendors or their agents.
14 Scotch Street,
Date of Entry
By mutual agreement.
Method of sale & closing date
The property is offered for sale by Private Treaty. Offers should be submitted to [email protected] or to Suite 7M, Lakeland Business Park, Cockermouth, Cumbria, CA13 9UQ. Should an offer be submitted to the office address please also confirm via telephone or email due to current COVID 19 circumstances. The Vendor reserves the right to change the method of sale, sell the property without any prior notification or change the closing date. Prospective purchasers are therefore advised to register their interest with the selling agents, following an inspection and having carried out suitable due diligence with regards to the subjects. The Vendor and their agents reserve the right to exclude, withdraw or amalgamate any of the land shown at any time. The Vendor and their agents also reserve the right to generally amend the particulars of sale. The agents also reserve the right to conclude negotiations by any other means at their discretion and a degree of flexibility is available to prospective purchasers. A closing date for offers may be fixed. The Vendor is not bound to accept the highest or indeed any offer, or go to a closing date.
Third Party Rights and Easements
The subjects are sold together with and subject to all existing rights of way, easements and others, whether contained in the Title Deeds or otherwise, and purchasers will be deemed to have satisfied themselves n all respects thereof.
Davidson & Robertson for themselves and for the Vendor(s) or Lessors(s) of the property described in these particulars, whose agents they are, give notice that
1. These particulars are produced in good faith as a general outline only and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. No person in the employment of Davidson & Robertson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to this property on behalf of the Agents, nor into contract on behalf of the Vendors.
3. It is the responsibility of any prospective purchaser or lessees to satisfy themselves as to the accuracy of any information upon which any prospective purchaser or lessee relies on in making an offer or bid. The making of any offer or bid for this property will be taken as an admission by the prospective purchaser or lessee that he has relied solely upon his own personally verified inspection and enquiries. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred by prospective purchasers in viewing the property or in the event of any property being sold or withdrawn.
4. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and other details are given without responsibility and should not be relied on as statements of fact and prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them. Descriptions of the property are subjective and are published as opinions and not statements of fact. They are not intended to be binding on the Vendors of their Agents.
5. Nothing in these particulars is to be regarded as a statement that the property is in good structural, agricultural or horticultural condition, nor should any statement be taken as a warranty to be implied that any services, appliances, equipment, installations or facilities on the property are in good working order. Prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves as to the condition of all such matters.
6. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that they have not entered into an agreement to purchase in reliance on any statement contained in these particulars, that they have satisfied themselves as to the content of each such statement by inspection, enquiry or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the Vendors of their Agents in respect of the property.
7. Any error, omission or mis-statement in these particulars or any correspondence relating thereto shall not entitle the Purchaser to rescind or to be discharged from any Agreement to Purchase nor shall it entitle either party to compensation or damages, or give either party any cause of civil action.
8. The property is sold with all faults and defects whether of condition or otherwise and neither the Vendors nor their Agents will be held responsible for such faults and defects.
9. The photographs printed in these particulars show only certain parts of the property and they were not necessarily taken when the particulars were produced.
10. Where any reference is made to planning permissions or potential uses, such information is given by the Vendor and their Agents in good faith. Prospective purchasers should make their own enquiries with the Local Planning Authority into such matters.
11. These particulars have been prepared in good faith and in accordance with relevant legislation at the time of writing.
Photos taken January 2022. Particulars prepared February 2022.
Contact us via [email protected]